Wednesday 20 April 2011

Bye Bye Big Beluga

Big Beluga is signing off for ever. We have moved to Moscow and I am going undercover on the blogosphere there. Email me if you want to know where I am going!

Nearly three years in mighty Kazakhstan and I must admit, I was very, very sorry to leave. We made some really great friends, hung out with a totally awesome crowd of interesting people, tough individuals, no one worrying about trivial things, everyone with their heads firmly screwed on and pretty much in touch with what is important in life.

I am so sad to have left the mountains with which I had a proper love affair. Every single time I ventured up the hills I had an amazing time, whether it was sun and snow, mist and rain, walking, skiing, driving off road. Every new corner that I turned gave another spectacular view, every animal or bird different. I miss the mountains every day.

I do not miss the corrupt police force: usually fat and quite ugly but of good humour, I did not enjoy the tedious process of paying police "fines" for non-offences. I must admit, they were never threatening, so in terms of cheerful corrupt officials, they probably come second only to the Thais (super smiley!).

I do not miss the corruption in general, although it did not impact enormously on me. However, it really upset me to leave our Kazakh friends, and people who cannot just up sticks and move somewhere else. To know that they would be staying and constantly having to deal with this kind of thing made me feel sad. Having to pay state officials for things that are, by law, their duty to provide really annoys me.

But on balance, I am thankful that our family had the opportunity to live in such a wonderfully adventurous place. To know that whenever we had free time, we could head out to the wilderness in our car was wildly liberating and exciting.

Bye Bye Big Beluga xxx

10 comments:

  1. Bye bye Big Beluga. Its been lovely getting glimpses of your life there, sounds like a wonderful country with all the usual annoyances (much like Bosnia, so much lovelier when the administration is taken away). I'll be emailing for updates. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes in Moscow! I will miss reading of your adventures in my beloved Almaty (minus the corruption, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking for someone who goes by the name of BeLuGaXxX. They have a music file that I have been searching for years (SKI MIX 27.5).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contact me at airbornefoxtrot@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Beluga Baby, Do you know that Forex Is Highest Paying Keyword in Google Adsense? Learn how to use Forex here:

    ReplyDelete
  6. wish you many more postive adventures

    http://wayfarersquest-rsctt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moscow? why not Poland? :)
    visit me :)
    http://filcowasowa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visit my blog http://www.blognova.com/ .Посетите мой блог http://www.blognova.com/

    ReplyDelete