Thursday 12 February 2009

Another fab hike and eagle spotting









Last week our nanny was sick and so there was no skiing, no hiking and my pilates class was accompanied by the baby playing to the sound track of The Wiggles (an Australian children's entertainment act for those who don't know the lovely tunes of such classic tracks as "Fruit Salad, Yummy Yummy"). But on Monday Allia the nanny returned to work (looking extremely well I thought) and so I shot out the door wearing my new gaitors and special clip on boot spikes for the Monday morning hiking rendez vous. 

I think I will have to stop being quite so enthusiastic about these hikes, or people will genuinely think I am completely mad, but I find it hard not to enthuse about it practically non-stop while out, and for a couple of days afterwards. 

I simply cannot believe my luck at being so close to such accessible and stunning trails. It really blows me away. This week there were many people in the group so we split up into two. The French lady who always includes a good steep bit in her hikes took those wishing a more demanding hike, and someone else took a slightly easier route. I went with the French lady. 

We started with a slippery muddy climb up a steep hill for about 25 mins, then walked along the ridge at the top for quite a long way, to stunning views along the edge of the Tien Shan and into the hills. 

At about the half way point, we stopped to allow the group to catch up, and suddenly a massive eagle came whooshing up out of the valley on a thermal right next to us, and started circling over our heads, calling out with its strange squawk, but making no sound with its wings. We watched it for about 10 minutes. None of us had the faintest idea what kind of eagle it was, but nonetheless, it was magical. I loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment