Friday 20 February 2009

Desperate times...

Desperate times require desperate measures, and I am ashamed to admit that the other day when I was trying to do something on my computer (having had no internet connection for nearly three months) and a window popped up asking me "Would you like to join this open network?" I thought to myself, "Yes, I really, really would," so I clicked Yes and for a few joyous days had really quite fast internet connection in my kitchen without having to go to Cafe Delia to log in. 

I admitted my terrible crime to a few friends and reaction was mixed. Some people thought it was really naughty to steal someone's bandwidth without them knowing. Others thought it was fair game - it is easy enough to lock your network if you wish. 

My guess was that the account belongs to a technically incompetent housewife whose husband was away on business, and that as soon as he came home, it would automatically be shut off, as the direct result of a conversation that would run something along the lines of, 
"Oh, by the way, darling, the men came and installed the internet,"
"Great, where did you get them to install it?"
"In the kitchen," 
"What? Why didn't you get them to put it in the study?" 
"Because you are hardly ever here and I am always in the kitchen," 
"Oh well, never mind. Is it any good?" 
"Well, it doesn't seem to be as fast as I thought it would be. At least sometimes it is really fast and other times it seems very slow"
"Weird. I will look into it. What is the password?"
"What password?"

I reckon I could not have been far off with my guess. And, last Tuesday, the connection stopped. 

But on Wednesday our OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive 2Day Telecom account was set up, including a receiver on the roof. And as I type this, I am listening to the radio on the internet and blogging to my hearts content. 

I mentioned to Gulya who came with the technicians to install it (and sat for over an hour playing games on her mobile phone before leaving) that it was quite pricey and she just laughed and said, "Well, that is because there is no competition."  

No comments:

Post a Comment