Thursday 12 February 2009

sob, sob

Wow, a long break from my blog but things remain largely the same as my last entry. We are now a month in our new house, but there is no sign of the Internet being connected. The latest delay is that the telephone company will upgrade our telephone line and until that is done there will be no installation of the Internet at all. I have resorted to sneaking out in the early morning to the main Internet café here (Café Delia) and stealing the whole bandwidth to myself, otherwise the speed of connection is so slow I want to slit my wrists. I have spent three days in various internet wi fi hot spots (they should be called “tepid pools” in Kazakhstan) trying to download an upgrade to Itunes so that I can actually use my new ipod and sound dock that I was given for Christmas. In one of these places, the length of time estimated to download my 60mbs was so long that there was not space for the download box to fit it in, It just kept on going up: estimated time to download 4 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, 35 hours then blank!

Having left the house with everyone sleeping this morning, I have finally managed to do the download today. It sounds very superficial to whinge about my itunes upgrade, but it also means that to check my emails takes approx 5 minutes per message to open. Given that we are trying to organize a Burns Supper at the Intercontinental Hotel for 250 people in under 3 weeks time, not having working Internet is frankly a pain in the bum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment